ISITLab: where experimentation meets innovation
ISITLab is Europe’s reference in intercultural research, thanks to a combination of facilities and work spaces that has been accessible since fall 2015.
- Auditoriums and conference rooms equipped with interpretation booths and video-transmission system
- A 150m² innovation laboratory
- Meeting rooms and work spaces equipped for videoconferencing
- Audio and visual sensors, computers for processing data in multiple languages
The innovation laboratory has many functions:
- Simulating multicultural team-management situations
- Audio and video recording to analyze speech and posture, but also to identify bias linked to language and cultural differences, professions, countries and generations
- Innovation and co-design workshops
- Research workshops on collective intelligence
- Research training
Applied research and training
Research is at the core of an ISIT education, through a progressive approach that gives students the means to appropriate the scientific method from day one.
Carried out by students in the Master program, under the guidance of an ISIT research professor, applied research projects offer companies:
- A fresh or additional take on an intercultural issue
- Recommendations for intercultural strategies in terms of sales, marketing, communication and/or human resources
- Development of multilingual communication tools and multimedia
A few examples of past student projects:
- Analysis of uniqueness and diversity of messages on sustainable development and corporate social responsibility in different cultural environments
- Fundraising strategy for an NGO
- Digitalization strategy for press relations in the communication department of a large company
- Reputation analysis in China and the United States and development of a communications strategy
- Business plan proposal for small business development
- Creation of terminology and multilingual reference database
- Establishment of an “excellence model” in the professional execution of translation in international organizations
Unique research holdings
The ISIT library has a unique research collection specialized in intercultural and multilingual fields.
Publications: “Le Bulletin du CRATIL”
In publication since 2008, “Le Bulletin du CRATIL” brings together work by French and international researchers on the themes of translation, interpretation, multilingual communication and intercultural management, areas studied for their economic, political and social impacts. Collaboration between researchers from different backgrounds allows for interdisciplinary work on languages and countries, but also professions and generations.
ISIT is involved in several innovative European research projects that allow the school to continually refine its pedagogy and curricula.
- AGORA/Transnational placement scheme for translation students (DG Education and Culture)
- CO-Minor-IN/QUEST 2/Interpreting for minors in legal proceedings
- Jean Monnet (DG Education and Culture)/Intercultural legal communication training for lawyers, judges, magistrates and European legal professionals
- ORCIT (DG SCIC and DG Inter, European Parliament and Comission)
- Conference interpreters careers: assessing the legitimation process of career changes in collaboration with Université de Créteil, France & IGS-RH
- IMPLI/Improving police and legal interpreting (DG Justice): Read the final report and watch the videos.
- CO-MINOR 1/Interpreting for minors in legal proceedings (DG Justice)
- QUALETRA 1/Quality for legal translation (DG Justice)
- Optimale (DG Education and Culture)
- PICT/Promoting intercultural competences in translators (DG Education and Culture)
- TRANSCERT/Voluntary certification for translators (DG Education and Culture)
- CONNECTING CONFERENCE INTERPRETING TRAINERS / Sur l’intégration des nouvelles technologies dans les formations des interprètes (DG Interprétation du Parlement européen)
– Read the report and its appendixes (in French)